In the name of Allah SWT, the most beneficient, the most merciful, the master of the day of judgement. It is his aid that we seek and it is His forgiveness that we yearn for. Salutations be upon Prophet Mohammad SAW, his companions and his family.
My dear respected brothers and sisters,
Assalam o allaikum.
Allah SWT says in the quran:
يٰۤاَيُّهَا الَّذِيۡنَ اٰمَنُوۡۤا اِذَا نُوۡدِىَ لِلصَّلٰوةِ مِنۡ يَّوۡمِ الۡجُمُعَةِ فَاسۡعَوۡا اِلٰى ذِكۡرِ اللّٰهِ وَذَرُوا الۡبَيۡعَ ؕ ذٰ لِكُمۡ خَيۡرٌ لَّـكُمۡ اِنۡ كُنۡتُمۡ تَعۡلَمُوۡنَ
"O believers, when the call is proclaimed for the prayer on Friday, come to the remembrance of Allah and leave off business, that is better for you if you but did know."
Hadhrat Ali Ibn Abu Taalib (RA) narrated: on the pulpit in the mosque of Kufah:
When Friday comes, the devils go to the markets with their flags, and involve people in their needs and prevent them from the Friday prayer. The angels come early in the morning, sit at the door of the mosque, and record that so-and-so came at the first hour, and so-and-so came at the second hour until the imam comes out (for preaching). When a man sits in a place where he can listen (to the sermon) and look (at the imam), where he remains silent and does not interrupt, he will receive a double reward. If he stays away, sits in a place where he cannot listen (to the sermon), silent, and does not interrupt, he will receive the reward only once. If he sits in a place where he can listen (to the sermon) and look (at the imam), and he does not remain silent, he will have the burden of it. If anyone says to his companion sitting besides him to be silent (while the imam is preaching), he is guilty of idle talk. Anyone who interrupts (during the sermon) will receive nothing (no reward) on that Friday.
Then he (the narrator) says in the end of this tradition:
I heard the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) say so. (Abu Dawood 1046)
My brothers and sisters, This tells us that Friday is not an ordinary day for muslims and there are certain things that a muslim has to take care of on this day. We are going to talk about what steps and activities does a muslim require to follow on this day.
The Aadaab of Jumuah
- Every Muslim should make preparations for jumuah from
Thursday. After the asr salaat of Thursday, he should make a lot of
istighfaar. He should clean his clothes and keep them ready. If he
does not have any perfume in his house, then if it is possible he
should try and obtain some and keep it ready so that he will not get
distracted with these things on jumuah. The pious people of the past
have stated that the person to receive the most benefit on Friday
will be that person who waits for it and who makes preparations for
it from Thursday. The most unfortunate person will be he who does
not even know as to when Friday will fall, so much so that he will
ask the people in the morning as to which day this is. Some pious
people used to go and stay in the jaame musjid from the night of
jumuah in order to make full preparations for the following day.
(Ihyaa ul-Uloom, vol. 1, page 161). These preparations also include
the clipping of the nails, removing the unwanted hair and to have
haircut if required.
- On the day of jumuah, ghusl should be made and the hair of
the head and the rest of the body should be thoroughly washed. It is
also very virtuous to use the miswaak on this day.
Ghusl must be made for any salat if the person is in a state of Janaba or if he had ihtelam.
The Ghusl has three compulsory acts and they are as follows:
1) Rinsing the mouth thoroughly, ensuring that the water reaches the back of the throat.
2) Taking water into the nostrils to the limit of the tender or fleshy part of the nose.
3) Drenching the WHOLE body - from head to toe - thoroughly, ensuring that no part of the body is left dry.
If the above points are carried out then the Ghusl is complete and one is purified.
- The ejaculation of sperm from it’s place with lust. (Janaba)
- To have a wet dream. Meaning nocturnal emission that is the releasing of sperm whilst sleeping. (Ihtelam)
- Sexual intercourse whether it is with or without lust, with or without orgasm, the bathing would be obligatory on both. (Mubashara)
- To become clean from menstrual pause (period). (haydh)
- To become clean from blood after child birth.(Nifas)
- It was narrated from Abu Hurraira that the Prophet (Pbuh)
does Ghusl then comes to Jummah, and prays as much as Allah decrees
for him, then listens attentively until the khutbah is over, then
prays with him (the imam), will be forgiven for (his sins) between
that and the next Jummah and three more days.
- After making ghusl, a person should wear the best clothing
that he possesses, and if possible he should also apply some
- On one Friday, Rasulallah said: "O
Muslims! Allah Ta'ala has made this day a day of Eid. So have a bath
on this day, whoever has perfume should apply it, and use the
Miswaak.“ (Ibn Majah)
- He should try and go very early to the jaame musjid. The
earlier a person goes, the more reward he will receive. Rasulullah
sallallahu alayhi wa sallam said:
“On the day of jumuah, the angels stand at the entrance of that musjid in which jumuah salaat is to be offered. They write down the name of the person who enters the musjid first, and thereafter the name of the person who follows, and they continue doing this. The person who entered first will receive the reward of sacrificing a camel in the path of Allah, the one who followed him will get the reward of sacrificing a cow, thereafter a chicken, thereafter the reward of giving an egg as charity in the path of Allah. Once the khutbah commences, the angels close the register and begin listening to the khutbah.”
— (Bukhari and Muslim)
- By going walking for the jumuah salaat, one gets the reward
of fasting for one year for every step that he takes. (Tirmidhi)
- One should listen very attentively to the khutba even if one
does not understand. One should not speak or even
warn another to keep quite while the khutba is in progress.
- People shake hands
- Say Salam by words or by waving
- Whisper in the back of the ear
- Answering phone and sometimes even conversing on the phone
- To try to sit as close as possible to the Imaam. (Ibn
- If the Saffs (rows) are already filled, one should not jump
over the shoulders of the musallies in order to get to the front.
- One should not fiddle with clothes or fingers but listen
attentively (Ibn Majah)
- When Rasulallah (Pbuh) name is mentioned in the khutba then
it is permissible to recite durood in the heart only without the
movement of the lips or tongue.
- Between the two khutba’s one should make dua.
- Related by Hakim and Bayhaqi, from Abu Sa`id “Whoever
recites Surat al-Kahf on Friday, light shall shine forth for him
between the two Fridays.” (Ibn
Hajar, Talkhis al- Habir)
- There is a lot of reward in reciting Surah Kahf either before
the jumuah salaat or after it. Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wa
“The person who recites Surah Kahf on Fridays, a nur will appear for him from below the arsh as high as the skies. This light will help him in the darkness of the day of resurrection. And all the sins which he may have committed from the last Friday till this Friday will be forgiven.”The ulama have written that this Hadith refers to minor sins because major sins are not forgiven without making taubah.
- There is more reward in reciting durood on Fridays than on
other days. It has been mentioned in the Hadith that durood should
be recited abundantly on Fridays.
Rasulallah (Pbuh) is reported to have said, “Recite Durood upon me in abundance on the day of Jummah since they are presented to me.” (Ibn Majah)
- Making abundant dua on Jummah
Rasulallah (Pbuh) said: "There is such an hour on Friday that if any Muslim makes dua in it, his dua will definitely be accepted.” (Bukhari, Muslim)
Ad Dua Mukhul Ibada – That is supplication is the essence of worship.
Delivered - MANB - May 10, 2013